Cathedral of Santiago de Cuba
Destroyed by flames several times; coveted by corsairs and pirates; Victim of earthquakes and lashed by hurricanes, today stands the cathedral of this cuban city as one of the most beautiful and ancient places of the city of Santiago de Cuba. It houses the Archdiocesan Museum Monsignor Enrique Pérez Serantes, the only museum of religious art in Cuba.
Where we can find it
Located in the “Parque Céspedes”, in the streets Santo Tomas between San Basilio and Heredia. It has an unmistakable style that makes it a paradigm of the eclecticist architecture of Santiago de Cuba. The current facade is the result of the talent of the architect Carlos Segrera, who maintained details of neoclassicism and added some elements of classical architecture: Corinthian columns, arches and towers.
A little history
In 1522, the Parish Church of the former villa of Santiago de Cuba or Hermitage of Santa Catalina is constituted in cathedral, and its soothes in city. Its construction finished in 1526. In 1653 the first Capilla del Sagrario was made. In 1611 a picture of Christ in the column was painted from Cartagena de Indias, painted by Francisco Antonio and placed at the door of the Tabernacle.